Tuesday, September 18, 2012

September 18 Dueling Pastas

Dueling pastas--thin spaghetti with bolognese and gnocchi with fresh pesto

I just didn't want to decide between red sauce and pesto. 



Whole wheat thin spaghetti with bolognese. The bolognese was created from marinara pulled out of the freezer. I just added a pound of lean hamburger meat and some additional herbs and spices. I also threw in a small rind of some parmigiana reggiano. 

The pesto was made from the rest of my basil crop. I loosely based it on this recipe. Instead of pine nuts I used walnuts and I didn't actually measure anything. It turned out quite delicious. 

To make the pesto gnocchi, I boiled store bought gnocchi then threw it in a bowl with about a half a cup of basil pesto. I thinned out the sauce with some pasta water.

Hunter said we should have dueling pasta more often. He also said he couldn't choose between the two because he liked them the same. Not much of a duel, I liked the pesto much better. It was a shockingly easy meal. I had leftover pesto which I put into an ice tray to have with the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment